Best Practices for recording Video of Vatom Spaces
- Loom Video (Free & Simple)
- Chrome Extension
- Desktop App
- Vimeo Screen Recorder - Chrome Extension
- Quicktime Player - Free w/ Mac Desktop App
- iShowU Instant - Paid Desktop App (Advanced Features & Settings)
- OBS Studio - Free Desktop App (Technical)
Always set up Audio to record "System Audio" or "Tab Audio"
Loom Video offers a Desktop App and a Google Chrome Extension to record your screen.
- Install the Loom Google Chrome Extension -- this is different than the loom desktop application
- Tap the purple Loom icon in top right corner of browser -- this is different from the loom icon above the browser
- Settings for using the Google Chrome Extension
- Select “Screen only” to get rid of your webcam image in the bottom left
- In the "Advanced Options" menu turn on “Include Tab Audio” toggle and turn off all other toggle options.
- Adjust device inputs if needed
- Consider downloading and using the Krisp microphone app to improve sound quality
- If you are wearing headphones remember to adjust for that
- When selecting screen, choose “custom size” to only capture the video window (and not any additional tabs or computer details
Other helpful info found here: https://support.loom.com/hc/en-us/articles/360002449178-How-to-capture-internal-audio-system-audio
Open Quicktime, From top menu bar Select File> Select “New Screen Recording”
Adjust Screen Recording settings from Options menu on the floating bar at bottom of screen.
Using OBS Studio
Best option for advanced recording, but more technical. It is also recommended to have a dedicated second screen.
Install OBS for your operating system from https://obsproject.com/
Hit the “+” sign in the Sources window to set the source to “Display Capture”
To adjust settings, click “Settings” in the bottom right corner, and select the “Output” tab to set where your file will be saved and at what quality.
Set the audio levels so that they peak in the yellow area. The top bar is audio from the computer and the bottom is your mic. The bottom will generally be lower volume to cut out ambient sound input.
To crop the recording area from the default, hold “alt” and drag the corner of the green and red bounding box on the main screen. To avoid odd-formatted video, enlarge the selection to the size of the outer grey window (set to standard 16:9 format.)
To record, hit “Start Recording” and then “Stop Recording.”
To get your file in a common format type, go to “File > Remux recordings” and hit the “...” to select your file. Then hit “remux” to convert to .mp4.
You can then find your recording with “File > Show Recordings.”
Using an IPad or iPhone:
Use the screen recorder feature from the screen below. It’s a circular dot icon that turns red when recording.
Hide Bookmarks and Toolbar if recording entire desktop or application vs. tab only.
- View> Always Show Bookmark Bar (uncheck)
- View> Always Show Toolbar (uncheck)